If you are looking for a tasty side dish to serve this week, try these cheesy and delicious Oven Baked Scalloped Potatoes!
Oven Baked Scalloped Potatoes
- 1 ½ lbs. white or yellow potatoes (About 5 medium size potatoes = three cups of sliced potatoes for this recipe)
- 1/2 medium onion
- 4 tbsp. all purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 tbsp. butter, cubed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp. chopped parsley for garnish
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Wash and peel the potatoes.
Finely chop the onions.
Spray the bottoms and sides of an 8 x 8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Alternate layers of potatoes, onions, flour, salt and pepper, starting with potatoes first and ending with flour mixture on top. You should have 3 layers. *See recipe notes
Top with cubed butter.
Heat the milk until just before boiling.
Pour the milk over the layers in the baking dish.
Top with shredded cheese.
Bake covered until the potatoes are fork tender. (Approx. 50 minutes)
Uncover and bake until the cheese bubbles and browns. (Approx. 15 minutes)
Broil for 2 minutes to get a nice golden brown top.
Remove the dish from the oven.
Let it sit for about 15 – 20 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
● A mandolin will help you get even thickness of slices. If you don’t have one, you will need a very sharp knife.
● Put potatoes in a single layer, minimally overlapping but fit larger pieces together with smaller pieces to form a sort of puzzle, to cover as much space as possible.
● Place a cookie sheet or drip pan under the dish while baking to catch anything that bubbles over.